Niagara Falls, Ontario is one of the most visited natural wonders of the world.
There are many cities both in Canada and the United States from where you can travel to Niagara Falls, Canada:
- Distance from Buffalo, New York: 25 miles.
- Distance from Chicago: 525 miles
- Distance from New York: 420 miles
- Distance from Toronto: 130 km
Niagara Falls, Canada can be reached by road, rail or air.
If you plan to fly to Niagara Falls, the nearest international airports are:
On the Canadian side
- Billy Bishop Toronto City Transport Airport (YTZ) located on Toronto Islands. FlyGTA offers flights from Billy Bishop Airport (YTZ) to/from Niagara District Airport, Niagara-on-the-Lake. You can also take a bus/car/train from YTZ to Niagara Falls.
- Lester B. Pearson International Airport (YYZ) in Toronto. It is located approximately 130 km from Niagara Falls. From the airport, Via Rail/Go Train, airport shuttles and Greyhound or Megabus to get to Toronto and then use connecting services to get to Niagara Falls.
- Hamilton International Airport (YHM) in Canada is 84 km away from Niagara Falls.
On the American side:
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF) is located approximately 25 miles/40 km from the Falls. From the airport, there are rental cars, taxis, and buses that will take you to Niagara Falls, Canada.
- Niagara International Airport is located off Route 62 (Niagara Falls Boulevard), which connects easily to the 405 in Canada.
You can save considerably if you fly into an American airport. Taxes and fees are higher on the Canadian side.
- The Niagara Falls train station is at 4267 Bridge Street, Niagara Falls. The station is not far from Whirlpool Bridge.
- Via Rail/Amtrek run daily services from Toronto to New York with a stop at Niagara Falls Via Station.
- GO trains operate between Union Station in Toronto and Niagara Falls Via Station on weekends and holidays.
Greyhound and Mega Bus run bus services from Toronto and Buffalo to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.
If you are visiting Toronto and would like to make a day trip to Niagara Falls, there are tour operators like ToNiagara, who provide guided tours.
You can also drive into Niagara Falls from USA. There are 3 international bridges between USA and Canada within 6 miles of the Falls.
1. Rainbow Bridge – nearest to the Falls.
2. Peace Bridge – Niagara Falls, U.S. to Fort Erie, Ontario.
3. Queenston-Lewiston Bridge.
US travellers should note that Canada follows the metric system and speed limits are in kilometres.
International travellers should have the appropriate documents for entry into Canada.
Getting around in Niagara Falls
If you are driving to Niagara Falls, most tourist attractions have parking. It is better to park at your hotel and take the WEGO buses as traffic can be congested and finding parking can be problematic, especially in peak season.
If you are visiting from a foreign country, you can get your currency exchanged at the international bridges or at a bank. The casinos also give a good exchange rate.
Packing clothes for your stay
The weather varies from season to season, so what you need to pack will depend on when you visit Niagara Falls. Whatever the season, you will need good walking shoes to get around near the Falls and other tourist attractions.